Purpose of Your Job Position
As a Consulate employee, you are entrusted with the responsibility of carrying out your daily tasks and assigned duties while demonstrating Consulate’s Core Values of Compassion, Honesty, Integrity, Respect and Passion. You are expected to provide innovative, responsible results with the creation and implementation of new ideas and concepts that continually improve systems and processes to achieve superior results. The Payroll Supervisor is responsible for acting as the Team Lead for all day-to-day payroll processes.
As Payroll Manager, you are delegated the administrative authority, responsibility, and accountability necessary for carrying out your assigned duties. The primary role is to manage the overall payroll support to clients, supervise team, support the payroll supervisors and director. This is a working manager role where the day-to-day responsibilities are accomplished by directly working with the team and other internal and external partners. This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by your director to perform/supervise/manage other duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon you performance of the tasks listed in this job description. The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time, for any reason. The Payroll Manager promotes and helps achieve the HR Mission Statement “We inspire, develop, and lead business partners to advance the strategic goals of the organization.”
Duties and Responsibilities
Work will consist of supporting the payroll team by managing the team to ensure the preparation, processing, and distribution of all payrolls. Supporting payroll/tax manager, Director of Payroll in meeting deadlines, filing requirements, reporting and ensuring audit procedures are followed.
- Supervision, Training, Customer Service
- Manage/supervise day to day payroll activities and processing assuring adequate coverage for critical tasks.
- Provides training for identified needed areas including payroll processes, process changes, and new processes for facilities and payroll staff.
- Manages one supervisor, 5-7 payroll specialists, and senior specialists.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local laws of those states in which Consulate operates in.
- Meets operational standards by working with payroll team, Tax manager, and Director of Payroll to implement production, productivity, quality, and customer service standards; and resolving problems.
- Embraces the idea of continuous process improvement.
- Resolves more complex customer service issues and problems utilizing expertise in payroll policies and laws.
- Responds to questions from payroll staff and resolves discrepancies.
- Utilizes advanced level of payroll knowledge and experience, creativity, foresight and mature judgment in anticipating and solving problems.
- Provides analysis and works on special projects assigned by Director of Payroll or VP of Accounting Services.
- Manage the entire payroll process for multi-state facilities and ensures these are processed timely and accurately.
- Assists in overseeing quarterly and annual balancing of payroll tax filings for all tax jurisdictions.
- Ensures compliance with all payroll tax related governmental, regulatory, and legislative requirements.
- Responsible for tracking WOTC program, training, sending weekly reminders, and monthly statistics as well as working with vendor.
- Monitors access to People Net and grants access to new users ensuring all approvals are provided beforehand.
- Responsible for check print file reconciliation.
- Assists in the set up of new tax accounts and closure of inactive accounts in response to reorganizations or acquisitions.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Director of Payroll
- Provides support to project manager and Payroll Director as needed.
- Assists in the set up of new facilities in Lawson and responsible for testing to ensure accuracy.
- Helps prepare the necessary training documents to assist the field (Business Office Coordinators).
- Assists Tax Manager and team by coaching, supervising and supporting during implementation of new processes, conversion, or acquisitions.
- Perform all other business related duties as assigned.
- Works in office areas.
- Moves intermittently during working hours.
- Is subject to frequent interruptions.
- Works beyond normal working hours, weekends and holidays and on other shifts/positions, when necessary and during special projects.
- Is subject to call back during emergency conditions (e.g., severe weather, evacuation, post-disaster, etc.).
- Attends and participates in continuing educational programs.
- Works beyond normal working hours, weekends and holidays and on other shifts/positions as necessary.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and to handle other computer components.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
- Physically able to participate in sessions, presentations, and meetings.
- Some travel may be required for the purpose of meeting with vendors, suppliers, service providers, or off-site contractors.
- Minimum of 8 years related payroll experience and/or training; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of 8 years of fast paced customer service.
- Minimum of 3 years supervisory experience.
- Prior LAWSON or ADP experience preferred.
- Experience in a shared service environment
- Solid understanding of Payroll Taxes.
- Some knowledge of Local Taxes, Tax Reciprocity rules, filing requirements, and regulations including PA local taxes, desired.
- Reporting experience preferred.
- Experience with multi-state employee base of over 5,000
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification required.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills; and advanced human resource supervisory skills.
- Demonstrated coaching/mentoring skills and problem solving skills.
- Must possess ability to supervise and prioritize various responsibilities with competing, short deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with all levels of staff and management, as well as external vendors.
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Office especially Word, and Excel skills; Lawson Payroll.
- Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and follow through to resolve any outstanding issues.
- Must possess the ability to work independently.
- Must possess the ability and interest in training other team members, facility payroll contacts.
- Must possess exceptional team building and people skills.
- Must possess the ability to adapt to changing environment and support of multiple team members.
- Must possess the ability to deal with a wide range of personality types, ages, and diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; appropriately communicates with all levels.
- Must possess the ability to articulate and comprehend the English language.
- Requires intense concentration and attention.